Open Position: Manager of Development and Communication
- Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Project Hope Alliance (PHA) is a nonprofit organization that seeks to end the cycle of homelessness, one child at a time. Since 1989, PHA has developed and successfully implemented programs that address the unique issues facing homeless children which prevent them from realizing their full potential. Our unique and personalized programs empower children with hope and more importantly, with the tools to help them complete their education and ultimately to help them succeed in life.
PHA Fundamental Philosophies
- We start with the conviction that all things are possible for homeless children.
- We believe our investment in children will yield a present and future dividend. We end homelessness today by housing families, and we prevent homeless tomorrow by journeying with their children into a future that does not include homelessness.
- All of our focus is on ensuring that children thrive so homeless children do not become homeless adults; our work is to be* generational disruptors.*
- We serve children birth to age 24 because we believe journeying with them to adulthood will disrupt generational homelessness.
- We help children, by supporting their parents. At the same time, we resource the parent only if it benefits the children.
- We are called to provide children with opportunities and eliminate barriers, so they are free to believe that all things are possible for themselves.
- Our work is grounded in the human connection. We walk alongside families and children in We speak into their lives with empathy, value and respect; giving them dignity and fostering independence, stability, and HOPE.
- We believe that every child/youth and family we serve is a sacred opportunity to change the trajectory of a life.
- Our* work is not finished until our Community is able to meet the educational, social-emotional, opportunity, health and esteem needs of homeless children. Our greatest achievement would be to no longer be needed.*
The Manager of Development and Communication (MDC) will be a strategic thought-partner, and report directly to the President & Chief Strategy Officer. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and develop internal capacity to support the following areas: fund development, brand management, marketing and communications.
The MDC will play a critical role in partnering with the leadership team in strategic decision making as PHA launches a multi-year capital campaign. This is a tremendous opportunity for a fundraising and marketing professional to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
This position will be responsible for the duties involving communication, promotion, and administration of fund development activities of Project Hope Alliance, including individual giving, corporate and foundation support, fundraising events, and grant support (as needed). The MDC will facilitate, with assistance from the President & Chief Strategy Officer, the development and implementation of an annual development strategy to achieve associated financial goals for the following priorities:
- Special Events, such as the Annual Anti Gala
- Individual Giving
- Corporate and Foundation Giving (support as needed)
- Annual Campaigns
- Regularly update donor database and manage reporting
- Conduct prospect research for new funding opportunities
Responsible for development and execution of annual strategic marketing plan. This includes maintaining the PHA website, social media communication, and newsletters; design and produce brochures, advertisements, posters, and any other materials related marketing needs of PHA:
- Manage website content and make necessary updates regularly
- Compose and send out a quarterly newsletter
- Maintain active social networking presence
- Manage advertising process for including: design of ads, placement in various publications and websites, monitor contracts, and maintain contacts with ad representatives
- Oversee design and dissemination of all development materials
- Maintain photo, video, and print archive
- Oversee content, design, production, and dissemination of the PHA’s Annual report
- Create and maintain a comprehensive press list
- Responsible for increasing awareness of our organization and all of our activities through effective, creative, and professional marketing and public relations.
- Alongside the President & CSO, establish and maintain partnerships with community organizations and businesses to support our mission.
- Other responsibilities may be required by the Board of Managers or Chief Executive Officer to fulfill the mission and goals of our organization.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and 2-5 years of experience in marketing, event management, and/or fundraising is required
- Proven track record of successful fundraising campaigns
- Preference will be given to candidates with a long-term interest in fundraising, marketing, and/or non-profit management
- The MDC must be an exceptionally organized, detail-oriented self-starter who is personable and has outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- He or she must have the ability to multi-task and adjust to seasonal or event-related fluctuations in workload
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel is required
- Knowledge of Salesforce is a plus
- Proficiency with Photoshop, Microsoft Publisher and Adobe Creative Suite is preferred.
- While training and management support will be provided, the MDC must possess the ability to work autonomously and with limited direction
- He or she must have an ability and willingness to interact with the public